Herring under a fur coat is one of the post popular dishes on the New Year Eve table for Russians.
Despite the name, no fur coat in the recipe is necessary. A herring under a fur coat is a salad in which the herring is topped with several layers of vegetables and eggs. If you are not used to eating herring salads, this may seem strange. But as soon as you taste the dish, you will probably want to have more.
Today we will teach you how to make this simple and delicious salad.
To make herring under a fur coat, you will need:
– Herring fillets – 350 g
– Onion – 1 pc.
– Potato – 3 pc.
– Carrot – 3 pc.
– Eggs – 3 pc.
– Beetroots – 2 pc.
– Big dish where you can put the layers one by one
1. Boil potatoes, carrots and beets with the skin, cool down and then peel.
2. Boil and cool down the eggs, peel off the shell.
3. Cut the herring fillets into small cubes and place them in the bottom of the dish.
4. Cut the onion into small pieces and put them, in a layer, on top of the herring.
5. Grate the potatoes on a large grater, put them in a layer on top of the onions.
6. Grate the carrots on a large grater and place them on top of potatos.
7. Cut the eggs into small pieces and put them on top of the carrots.
8. Grate the beets on a large grater and place them on top of the eggs.
9. Cover the top layer with mayonnaise, add fresh herbs on top.
The salad is ready!
Sometimes the salad is decorated with broken yellow of the egg. Also, if you like, you can add a layer of mayonnaise between the layers of veggies.