Some time ago we told you about a traditional Russian drink – kvass. Today we offer you to try to make this delicious and healthy drink at home.
To make delicious kvass at home for the first time, you should start with the simplest recipes based on rye bread. Another good thing about it is that you can use old bread that became hard and otherwise would be thrown away.
The recipe below is calculated for the 8 liters of water. You don’t have to make so much, you can reduce the amount of each of the ingredients respectively.
To prepare home-made kvass you will need:
- Water: 8 liters
- Fresh yeast: 60 g
- Sugar: 1 glass (200 g)
- Rye bread: 500-700 g
- Raisins: 25 g
1. Break the bread into slices and dry it up in a preheated oven until the pieces get a dark crust.
2. Boil the water and switch of the fire.
3. Dilute the yeast in warm water.
3. Add the bread, sugar and yeast into the boiled water. Cover with material and leave aside for two days.
4. Add raisins and leave everything for another day.
5. Filter the water out and put it into the fridge.
Kvass made this way can stay up to 5 days in the fridge. After that it becomes too sour and should not be consumed.
To make a new portion of kvass you don’t have to do everything from scratch. Use a half of the substance that left after filtering the drink out, mix it with a half amount of bread and sugar that you used to prepare this portion, add water and leave to ferment for a couple of days again.